July 11, 2008

Ambitious Weekend Recap: Day 4

And on the fourth day I created a skirt. To be specific it was an A-line skirt with lining from the Barcelona pattern. Even with my lingering hesitation about zipper installation this skirt couldn't have been easier.

The fabric is from my stash building efforts of last summer. It is a great funky print from Urban Chiks’ Summer in the City line. As soon as I saw this fabric I knew it had to be a skirt. I just didn’t know it would take a year to come to fruition. But good things come to those who wait. Or at least that’s what I thought until I tried it on.

Barcelona skirt

I had carefully, and honestly, taken my measurements before cutting the fabrics. It was when I tried on the skirt prior to doing the hems that I realized my usual problem had once again reared its ugly head: perfect fit through the hips results in a gaping waistband. I think the nice way of putting that would be to call me an hourglass, very old Hollywood. The less nice way might be to call me a pear. Either way I need help.

This is where more experience with garment construction would really come in handy. Luckily I have a wonderful friend who has volunteered to help me with the tailoring. With a little modification I am sure we can create my personalized version of the A-line skirt. I know once that is worked out I’ll reach for the pattern over and over again.

In the mean time I’m going to stock up on some of the great décor weight fabrics released this spring/summer from Anna Maria Horner and Joel Dewberry. Doing the lining was very simple but if I’m going to create two hems I’d prefer them to be on two skirts. After all two skirts are better than one!


I have to say the ambitious weekend four projects in four days was a huge success. It's a rare occurrence to do so much sewing for myself. I foresee making this a recurring event. With every change in season a weekend of ambitious sewing could add great new clothes and accessories to my closet. I think it's something we should all do. Care to join in?

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Oh I love that fabric. It's makes a beautiful skirt.

Sounds like you need to make some darts in the back (or modify the darts if they are already there). Put the skirt on inside out. Have your friend pin in the excess fabric in the waistband where the darts are (or should be if you don't have them already). Then stitch up the darts. I hope that helps!