October 19, 2010

Baby Burritos

The week before the girls were born I waddled into my sewing nook and made a dozen large colorful swaddling blankets from Anna Maria's Folksy Flannel. I purchased a yard of each and squared them up with my rotary cutter and finished them with a rolled hem using my trusty serger. The remnants were also hemmed and added to my basket of wash cloths and burp rags so I literally used every square inch of fabric for this project. They were by far the easiest and most useful items I made for the babies. The Folksy Flannel is a wonderful weight for this sort of application and the colors are simply gorgeous; I can't tell you how many compliments I received.

The only thing I would do differently next time is to make them bigger. We swaddled our girls for a long time and once they got to be about 13 pounds they started to bust out of them. I made a few more from 1 1/4 yard pieces and they worked until we stopped needing them at about 6 months old. They are still in great shape (even after many washings) and I'm sure I will be able to re-purpose them at some point in the future. For now I'm keeping them in the bin with the teeny-tiny premie clothes that I can't bear to part with.

2 comments:

Mountainrose said...

Don't cut them or reporpose them. Save them for when your babies have their own babies. or when they have that special doll that is their bestest friend. There are just some things that is better to save and pass along when the kids are all grown up and this is one of them.

Jacqueline said...

Absolutely stunning! The girls I mean! No, the fabric too. What gorgeous fabrics. They have to be over a year now - hope things are going well. I have two grandchildren on the way and am definitely going to be making these.