November 27, 2007

Instant Gratification Sewing

With final exams and projects looming over me I'm having difficulty finding time to work on my long list of Christmas projects. To give myself a little boost, and remind myself that all projects don't have to be a labor-intensive to be good, I thought I'd share this quick and simple project (original seen at angry chicken). Wash & dry a 100% cotton onsie, T-shirt or other garment. Apply a fabric patch using light weight double-sided interfacing. I ironed the interfacing onto the fabric for the appliqué first and then cut out the patch in the shape and size that I wanted. Doing it this way made it much easier to keep the edges neat and to get the adhesive all the way to the perimeter of the fabric. Iron the patch onto the garment and let cool. Amy finished the edges using a machine zig-zag stitch but I couldn't get the tension on my ancient machine to work with the knit fabric so instead I finished them by hand using embroidery floss and a blanket stitch. The first couple took a little longer, but now I can whip up a trio of these in less than an hour. I started with a set last summer for a new baby girl. Last month I made a batch of ten for our craft fair and they were a big hit. As an added bonus, I have received several compliments on my blanket stitch from people who sounded like they knew their way around an embroidery hoop. I'm so proud.

No comments: