November 12, 2007

Time to Make the Cookies

That chill in the air that began making random appearances in October is now here to stay. While I am not a huge fan of the impending snow and cold, I am a huge fan of this transitional season called fall. The entry into fall holds so much promise of a slower pace for me. In fall it's fine if I don't leave home for an entire weekend. Pots of soups or stews simmer away on the stove while I catch up on my movie watching nestled down on the couch with a hot cup of tea. Of course, with that hot cup of tea it doesn't hurt to have something sweet to nibble on. Out of summer retirement comes my KitchenAid stand mixer. It's time to warm up for the flurry of baking that occurs from Thanksgiving to Christmas. In preparation for the cinnamon rolls, dinner rolls, and countless cookie doughs that it will produce I decide it's time for my mixer and I to get reacquainted over my favorite oatmeal cookie recipe.

For me the perfect oatmeal cookie contains just the right amount of cinnamon, dried cranberries, and toasted pecans. If you're going to snack it may as well be homemade with ingredients like oatmeal, cranberries, and nuts. Who's going to tell you any of those items aren't good for you? (Just leave out the part about the cup of butter!)

The inaugural baking event proved to be a great success. We try to fool ourselves into thinking we'll freeze half for another day. And we do...until the very next day. Then one by one they are snuck from the freezer and enjoyed until just crumbs remain.

No comments: