March 10, 2008

You're kidding, right?

I am a junkie, an interior design magazine junkie. I can't get enough of them. Within an hour of their removal from my mailbox I've devoured them. Some months are so bad I have to go out and buy additional magazines. I really hate those double month issues with a single month's content. There are plenty of gorgeous interiors just waiting to be photographed. I'm sure publishers could fill all twelve months of the year without breaking a sweat. But, I digress.

I really love articles featuring home owners who have made a personal stamp on their interiors by mixing the lowest end flea market finds with the highest end "to the trade" items. A glimpse into these interiors and you get a feeling you know who these people are. Now if that interior happens to be a small space, as mine is, the article will be poured over again and again for inspiration.

So I was quite excited to see this section in the March issue of a magazine:

not, Small Space

And then my excitement was replaced with disbelief as I read the brief description of the article.

not, Small Space

When exactly did 2,500 square feet become a small space? Nearly 4 of my condo could fit in a space that, dare I say, large. I must say the space was beautifully decorated and filled with the homeowners' character which I loved. I can also appreciate the need to downsize. However, I find the shifting definition of what is small a bit alarming.

Editors, please bring back the small spaces in your features. I'm even willing to compromise and call it anything less than 1,500 square feet. I have a love for all interior design work as evidenced by my insatiable magazine appetite. However, what I miss are the occasional articles featuring these small space design masters. They are truly inspirational.

2 comments:

Mandi said...

Oh my goodness, that's just funny! I live in a little duplex, so that size seems ginormous! ;-)

SUMMERSTEAD said...

That is too funny! My hubby, 2 sons, 2 dogs, and I live in a home less than 1/2 that size!