July 9, 2008

Ambitious Weekend Recap: Day 2

The second day of my ambitious weekend found me wondering if I hadn’t accidentally slept until fall. The weather was not July in New England but October in New England: very gray skies with temperatures barely hitting 70. We decided to put Portland off for another weekend.

Yoga tote

With Portland scratched I went to work on project #2, the yoga mat tote from Simple Sewing. To handle the weight of my yoga mat I chose to use a decorator weight fabric from Amy Butler’s Nigella line. With only half a yard of fabric though I did alter the dimensions of the tote and handle from those in the book. This only required some careful measuring (twice) of my rolled up yoga mat. A few quick seams later and I had an impressive yoga mat tote.

Health Food Cookies

With that project so quickly out of the way I had plenty of time for the perfect gray day activity, baking cookies. Looking to inject some nutrition into a cookie I decided to make dark chocolate chunk cookies with walnuts. It may be a slightly warped sense of nutrition but everybody’s heard of the heart healthy benefits of walnuts and dark chocolate, right? If you’re going to indulge you might as well attempt to make it better for you.

The rest of the day passed in relaxation mode. There was nibbling on cookies, reading, napping, and watching episode after episode of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, a smart TV show that is no more.

No comments: