July 13, 2009

Many Recipes of the Week

Wow. I’m way behind on telling you about the recipes I’ve been trying lately. How about a quick little recap as a way to catch up?

sweet potato and poblano salad with honey and rosemary


Sweet Potato and Poblano Salad with Honey and Rosemary
This should become your go-to potato salad this grilling season. I was sad when it was gone. In fact, there was a little fight over the remaining serving. To save from any fights breaking out perhaps you should make double.

Vanilla Ice Cream
I’d never made a custard base for ice cream before thinking it was too much effort. How much difference could it make? Well, I’m here to tell you it makes all the difference in the world. This was amazing. It was rich, creamy, silky, deliciousness on a spoon. Or I should say on the beater. I could be found licking the ice cream machine beater over the sink making completely inappropriate noises.

Hot Fudge Sauce
You knew this was coming, right? How can you top out of this world ice cream with store-bought hot fudge? This recipe requires caution. It is bittersweet, fudgy, and rich. If you’re firmly in the milk chocolate camp then you probably won’t love this. The next time I make this I will probably increase the sugar a bit and/or use semi-sweet chocolate to appeal to the milk chocolate and dark chocolate crowds.

Meze Platter with Hummus, Shrimp Salad, and Cucumber Salad
This recipe is actually three in one. It is also a major crowd pleaser. Four of us sat around grazing, I mean eating, from the tray and there was barely a bite of anything remaining. I did serve it with a selection of cheeses, salami, olives, and marinated eggplant and there was barely a bite of those left either. (Did I just make us sound like gluttonous pigs?) It really made a perfect tapas-like evening, complete with Spanish wine. If you’re planning to host a little get together I think you need look no further than this menu.

No comments: