August 31, 2009

Recipe of the Week

Recipe: Butter Pecan Ice Cream
Source: Gourmet

butter pecan ice cream

Ingredients: *****
How can you possibly argue with a recipe that is chock full of toasted pecans? You can’t. You simply can’t. Having them mixed with lots of creamy milk and eggs doesn’t hurt either. I did make a few minor swaps though. I used 2% milk instead of whole milk because that’s what was in the fridge. I also only had dark brown sugar in my cabinet so I used 1 cup of dark brown sugar with ½ cup of granulated sugar.

Preparation: *****
Custard making is not for the impatient. I reminded myself of this over and over again as I stirred my milk mixture over gentle heat and every so slowly added it to my beaten eggs and sugar. Praying you don’t end up with scrambled eggs also helps. However, if the powers that be fail you, straining through a fine mesh sieve is a lifesaver. The only thing I would have done differently in the whole process is to let the custard chill overnight. It really does save the ice cream maker a lot of work.

butter pecan ice cream

Taste: *****
I’m in love! Everything about this ice cream is right. It’s rich, creamy, and packed with buttery, salty pecans. I have no idea how I, a butter pecan lover, have made it this far into my adult life without making my own butter pecan ice cream. Now, if you’ll excuse I have to get back to the freezer. All this talk has reminded my I haven’t had ANY today. I would say I’d share if you were here, but I just know that isn’t true. You’re better off making your own.

No comments: