February 20, 2008

A girly bag

Stitchette tote
Yes, the great pillow/bag debate finally has a victor and my little Stitchette finally has a home. I had such trouble deciding what to do with this project. Tory finally gave me a nudge in the bag direction and I'm really pleased with the results. I appliquéd the embroidery onto the outside fabric with a layer of flannel in between. The flannel provides some thickness and prevents the flowered fabric from showing through the cream fabric. This was my first "real" appliqué - no glue or double-sided interfacing involved. I basted the fabric/flannel patch on with a straight stitch very close to the edge of the fabric and then went over it with a very tight zig-zag. I love that it looks like those souvenir badges you get when you're a kid.
lining
The single strap was inspired by one of my new favorite bags. I used flannel as the lining and it gives it a nice feeling of firmness that is almost pillow-like. I cut out pieces of the pink fabric and the flannel that were each 2.5 inches wide. I ironed them both in half and folded under a 1/4 inch hem. Edge stitched both sides and it was done.

flower fairy
My flower fairy is also finished. It's basically the Peppermint Fairy Stitchette design but I turned the candy cane into a flower wand and chose spring colours instead of the original Christmas palette. She is going to be the center panel for a patchwork pillow, I already have a stack of fabrics picked out and ready to cut. I am going crazy for Hilary's embroidery patterns these days; I have the quilting bee girls on order and an embroidery hoop ready for their arrival. I'm a little obsessed, I admit, but they are just so quick and easy compared to some of the other projects on my horizon. Ah-ha, now I get it. I am craft-procrastinating with embroidery. I wonder if there is a support group for that?

1 comment:

Tory said...

If this is craft procrastination I say keep it up! They're lovely.