May 25, 2008

Stress sewing

Skirt
We found out we had to travel to Sarajevo for family reasons on a Thursday but couldn't get flights until Sunday night. Three days is a lot of time to wait under such circumstances. To pass the time, my husband watched sports on TV and I cleaned the house from top to bottom and made this skirt. I had purchased a Barcelona skirt pattern last year but never got around to making one. The fabric is from the Amy Butler Nigella line. I got in on sale in January thinking it would make the perfect summer skirt. And then winter went on and on and I thought we'd never see spring, let alone summer so it remained neatly folded for months in my sewing room. Desperate for a few hours of distraction before our trip, I pulled the pattern and fabric out and started cutting.

Since the fabric is home decor weight I skipped the lining - definitely the right decision. It's still swooshy, has enough structure and isn't see-through. It's been a while since I made an article of clothing for myself and I am delighted that it turned out to be the correct size without any modifications. I was a little worried that it would wrinkle easily, but as you can see from the photo above, taken after a full day of wear, it doesn't. Which is awesome because I really hate to iron.

2 comments:

VSJensen said...

very pretty skirt! sorry about the unfortunate circumstances regarding your trip. best wishes.

Katie said...

love your skirt!