Not only did I stay awake for all of Project Runway last night, I managed to start and finish a project. While the designers had Heidi to give them their assignment, I turned to an issue of Cotton Time for inspiration.
I flipped through it and found a project which looked like it could be completed in an evening without having to struggle too much with non-English directions. I pulled out some of my favorite Summer in the City prints and a coordinating Japanese cotton and started cutting. From the diagram it seems like the point of the project was to make a piece of patchwork and then cut it up for the box, but I just cut five squares of fabric and five of utility canvas for the lining and sewed them together to make two boxes. I used fusible interfacing to give the canvas lining some extra strength, definitely the right thing to do.
The inner and outer boxes weren't exactly the same size, so I added some giant rickrack to hide the sad looking stitching around the top. Two twill tape handles with decorative buttons and I was done.
Now I have a lovely caddy for my patterns, which were previously propped up next to the crafting books.