April 20, 2009

Recipe of the Week

Recipe: Curried Cauliflower and Chickpea Stew
Source: Bon Appetit

curried cauliflower and chickpea stew

Ingredients: *****
With the exception of a head of cauliflower and a fresh bunch of cilantro this meal comes straight from the pantry. That was almost true in my case. At the very last minute I had to send the dudely out for curry powder because I swore I had some in my pantry. I even briefly scoured the internet for a suitable substitution to avoid his dinner time trip to the supermarket. That, however, would have required approximately 20 other spices I definitely didn’t have.

Preparation: *****
It’s a simple one pot meal. Don’t take the recipe’s recommendation and use a large skillet though. Use a large stock pot and you’ll actually be able to stir everything together without covering your floor and stove in chickpeas and cauliflower florets. Ahem.

curried cauliflower and chickpea stew

Taste: ***
This recipe was a major disappointment for me. It didn’t taste bad it just didn’t live up to its potential. This recipe had everything going for it, too. It was a curry. It was meatless but hearty. It was a quick, one pot meal making it perfect for the weeknight dinner rotation. But it was flat, neither great nor bad, just there. I could try adding a lot more curry powder next time and that might help. I have no patience for tweaking a recipe into perfection though when the result could be just as disappointing. I’d rather spend my calories on the hope that comes with a new recipe and its possibilities. So that’s what I shall do: hope next week is better.

1 comment:

Olya said...

you know, I recently had a similar experience with a recipe from Real Simple. Based on that I'd suggest the following:

a. skip the coconut milk, add a can of tomato sauce (and fresh chopped tomatoes are optional) instead of canned tomatoes, and any of the following spices - ground coriander, ground turmeric, ground cinnamon, ground cordamom (you can even add a combination of them). In my case, I also had eggplant and it was great in a curry.

b. skip anything tomato related, but keep coconut milk. Add soy sauce (Nama Shoyu is my choice), about 1/4c, 1tsp sweetner (agave nectar or honey) and a bit of freshly graded ginger if you want. Garlic also can never hurt ;)

I know that's quite a few changes, but I just really dislike bland curry dishes, so hopefully your next curry cooking will be more satisfying!