September 29, 2009

Recipe of the Week

Recipe: Cannellini and Kale Ragout
Source: Bon Appetit

cannellini and kale ragout

Ingredients: *****
Kale is abundant this time of year so I’m looking for new ways to prepare it. This recipe fit the bill and includes other favorites like cannellini beans and red pepper flakes. I skipped the Italian bread and used my homemade whole wheat bread. With a recipe as healthy as this it seemed crazy to eat white bread with it!

Preparation: *****
After a long Monday this recipe was just my speed. The hardest thing I did was wash and chop a mountain of kale and mince some garlic. The rest involved a can opener. It really doesn’t get any easier. The only thing I changed about the prep was cutting down on the amount of olive oil used.

cannellini and kale ragout

Taste: *****
I loved this recipe. There seemed to be just the right amount of everything. From the initial bite right through the little bit of heat as you swallowed it was perfection. Going with whole wheat bread was also a great choice. The tiny bit of sweetness from the molasses in the recipe was a good foil for the heat of the pepper flakes. Add in a little glass of red wine and it made Monday night feel a little more special than most.

No comments: