December 21, 2007

Finished, and another craft fair update

*edited to add photos*
throw pillows

runner (center panel is red, two flanking flower panels interleaved with the yellow)

I finished a project last night: six covers for throw pillows and a coffee table runner for mom. I put zippers in the covers which was quite a challenge given that my antique sewing machine doesn't have a zipper foot. Suffice it to say that each of them turned out a little different, I only broke one needle, and that by the time the sixth one was done I had honed my technique. On the bright side, I finished all the raw edges with my new serger and it was like going from a horse and buggy to a sports car: a little disconcerting, I felt like I might careen out of control at any minute but I loved it. My computer was being weird so I wasn't able to upload any pictures. Rest assured, photographic evidence will be forthcoming.

Now I have to figure out how to do the lap quilt/throw. I was going to use the pattern from Bend the Rules Sewing, but the fabrics my mom chose for the pillows are thicker and don't iron very well as I discovered while making the pillows, so I'm concerned that it wouldn't work to sew them in strips. The current plan is to cut large squares (~10 inches) and do a simple patchwork. I think I'll tie it, partly because I don't have much time but also because I remember a tied throw quilt we used to have on our sofa when I was a kid that was really soft. I've never made a quilt before, so we'll see how this goes. I also started working on a wreath, a la Soulemama. I thought it was something I could just whip up, but I'm finding it harder than I thought it would be. So far I have wrapped a styrofoam form with strips of leftover wool from patchwork scarves, faux bois velvet ribbon and rick rack. I'm liking the way it's going, but not loving it yet.

Speaking of scarves, did Tory and I ever tell you about our second craft fair appearance? This one was at our workplace and it was our third year of participation. We can't show you any photos (cameras are not allowed onsite) but our display was very similar to the first one. It was so much fun. Our stuff was snapped up by the hip and cool folks we hoped would like it. So very gratifying to know that everything will go to good homes. We work with some very talented people and it's always fun to see what they have come up with each year. And I always walk away with something wonderful, like this hand-turned maple bowl:

More later. Tonight is tree decorating at our house, hopefully I'll get photos of that and be able to upload the pillow/runner ones.

No comments: