February 23, 2009

Recipe of the Week

Recipe: Feta, Garbanzo Bean, and Eggplant Pita Sandwiches
Source: Bon Appetit

feta, garbanzo bean, and eggplant pita sandwiches

Ingredients: ****
Eggplant, garbanzo beans, and feta are some of my favorite ingredients. Here they get used in a way that I wouldn’t normally use them. Typically, eggplant gets used as a pizza topper or roasted with peppers, onions, and mushrooms for a side dish. Garbanzo beans get whirled into hummus. Feta, well, feta can go anywhere. I’m also stretching myself by using an ingredient not typically found in my refrigerator, mint. Mint is something hard for me. Its flavor is never quite what I expect it to be and I’m often disappointed, except is the case of mojitos. Infer what you will.

Preparation: *****
They, the great chefs of the world, always say to prep your ingredients prior to beginning a recipe. I rarely do that, being in too much of a hurry to get food into my rumbling tummy. Here, however, it really is a good idea because the cooking just goes so quickly. I did greatly reduce the amount of mint I added at the end, using only about a tablespoon.

feta, garbanzo bean, and eggplant pita sandwiches

Taste: ***
The first stuffed pita half I had was really good. Reducing the amount of mint was a good call. It was just enough to add some flavor to the mix without being overpowering. By the time I neared the end of the second stuffed pita half though I had had enough. Not as in I’m bursting at the seams, couldn’t eat another bite enough. It was more like this is boring and it’s time to move on. So I don’t know what to recommend to you, dear reader. It’s a toss up. I can offer nothing further.

No comments: