March 9, 2009

Recipe of the Week

Recipe: Apricot and Lamb Tagine
Source: Cooking Light

lamb & apricot tagine

Ingredients: ****
This recipe has been on my “to make” list for many months. Finding a package of boneless leg of lamb that weighed less than 6 pounds and cost less than $36 at my local grocery store provided a bit of a challenge. That’s where, oddly enough, Costco came to the rescue. On a whim I looked there figuring it would be even harder to find a small package at this mega-size store. Happily, I was wrong. They had nice little packages weighing in at just over 3 pounds at a price of less that $4/pound. Two pounds were hacked off for this recipe and the remaining pound went to the freezer for the next lamb dish.

Preparation: *****
This is a slow cooker recipe. Enough said? Not quite. The recipe recommends a cooking time of 8 hours on low. It was nearly noon yesterday before I had the ingredients assembled in the slow cooker. Not wanting to eat at 8pm I did 1.5 hours on high and 5 hours on low. It was perfect.

lamb & apricot tagine

Taste: ****
A big part of taste is smell and this smelled incredible all day long. The taste was pretty good too, although I found it a little on the sweet side. That’s to be expected though with the 6 ounces of dried apricots that go into it. I might reduce that amount the next time I make it. The dudely didn’t seem to mind as he devoured two massive bowls of it. He even proclaimed this morning that the tagine had kept him warm all night. I don’t know about that. What I do know is that I found the tagine was even better today than it was last night. Some of the sweetness had mellowed and overall the flavor was more balanced. So break out the slow cooker and come home to a warm, hearty meal and have the perfect lunch the next day.

No comments: