March 25, 2009

Recipe of the Week

Recipe: Pappardelle with Smoked Salmon
Source: Cooking Light

pappardelle with smoked salmon

Ingredients: *****
The ingredients on this list are great. The cream cheese and smoked salmon typically found on a morning bagel find themselves reinvented in a pasta dish. I chose to skip the tomatoes on this go around though. By the time I got to them they were looking very, very sad.

Preparation: *****
Boiling pasta is obviously pretty easy. What makes the preparation of this recipe really stand out, however, is making the creamy sauce. It’s nothing more than allowing cream cheese to “melt” in chicken broth. No heavy cheese. No stirring and stirring and stirring.

pappardelle with smoked salmon

Taste: ****
This made a really wonderful Sunday dinner, instantly being added to my list of things to make again and again. There are two things I’d do differently though. First off, I’d sauté the onions longer than suggested. They were a bit too crispy for me. I’d also probably skip using smoked salmon in favor of using up leftover salmon fillet. By the time the dish heats through you’ve lost some of the great smoked salmon flavor. Better to save the good stuff for the bagels. Which got me thinking that this recipe is a great base for modifications. I could see using sautéed mushrooms with asparagus or broccoli, chicken, shrimp, or scallops instead of salmon, fresh herbs instead of dried. See what I mean? Adaptable. It just might help you clean out a fridge full of little bits of this and that.

No comments: