April 6, 2009

Recipe of the Week

Recipe: Roasted Asparagus and Red Onion Quesadillas
Source: Gourmet

roasted asparagus and red onion quesadillas

Ingredients: ****
Asparagus is my favorite vegetable. When I saw in my local grocery ad that it was available from somewhere north of the equator I knew I had to find a recipe that prominently featured this green goodness. I chose to forgo the pepper jack in favor of mozzarella. OK, saying I chose to forgo the pepper jack really means I forgot to buy it and had mozzarella on hand.

Preparation: *****
You’re supposed to dirty a whole bunch of pans in all the roasting and broiling but I went with dirtying a single pan. I first roasted the asparagus and removed them to cool. Then I threw the onions on that same pan, roasted them and removed them to cool. A quick wipe down and the pan is ready for broiling. Overall, it’s a really simple recipe to prepare.

roasted asparagus and red onion quesadillas

Taste: *****
They tasted like spring. I know that might sound like an exaggeration but it’s not. I’m coming from the land where winter has been long and hard. These last few weeks have been especially hard with the spring cravings setting in and refusing to budge. All I want is fresh asparagus, greens, and strawberries. If you’re in a state such as I am I really recommend finding some semi-local asparagus and whipping these up for dinner. And if you are lucky enough to find some spring greens too, that’s even better. It will at least feel like spring in your kitchen even if it’s not spring outside your kitchen window.

No comments: