October 13, 2009

Recipe of the Week

Recipe: Apple Cider Doughnuts
Source: Food Network Magazine

apple cider doughnuts

Ingredients: *****
The stars of this recipe were our freshly picked apples and the locally pressed apple cider. With such fresh, delicious ingredients it’s really hard to go wrong…even with a doughnut.

apple cider doughnuts

Preparation: ***
Doughnut making is not for the weak of heart. It requires time to make the applesauce that goes into the dough. Then there is the chilling time, rolling, and cutting. All that is doable. What comes next though can be a little scary: the deep-frying. I went with a relatively narrow saucepan, about 7”-8” across, with tall sides to keep everything well contained. You also need a good thermometer and patience to get the oil heated to the proper temperature. Don’t try to speed this up. My final word of advice in prepping these: don’t crowd the pan. Two to three at a time worked perfectly with my pan size and meant the temperature stayed pretty steady.

apple cider doughnuts

Taste: *****
These doughnuts were delicious. They were everything I’d dreamed about and I’d dreamed quite a bit in the week since we went apple picking. Usually I just go for instant gratification and get half a dozen doughnuts at the orchard. However, the orchard we went to this year did not have a single doughnut. Shocking, right? I’m glad they didn’t though. It gave me just the push I needed to try these. And in the end they were better than anything I could have purchased. They were just the right combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and apple. The best part may be what they didn’t have - that heavy in your stomach feeling. So go ahead and sit down with two doughnuts next to your steaming mug of cider. You’ll be happy you did.

No comments: